Friday, September 3, 2010

my son...

i shared this the other day on a forum i frequent. my boy is growing up to be someone i greatly admire.

the other day we stopped for dinner on the way home from counseling. my treat for making him endure the torture of having to talk to someone for an hour. we went to taco bell - his choice - on route 1 - pretty busy road. As we drove up there was a homeless person on the island in the middle with a sign. my boy wanted to give him some money. he said "i have 4 dollars mom. i could give him some."

so, we pulled in to taco bell. he pulled out all his change and i grabbed some of mine and he pulled together $1.48. we crossed the road and met the man in the middle. he thought we were just walking but we stopped and my boy handed him the change. that man smiled and said "god bless." i got a little tear in my eye. we walked back and it was obvious the little guy was clearly moved. "i enjoyed that mom. i like helping people." he talked about it all through dinner.

when we came out there was homeless woman in the same spot. "mom" my boy said "i still have some money." we ended up driving around and he gave her $1.00. And while waited at the light he continued to look back at her and smile. and then, on the way home, started talking about how he could save up and we could drive around and find people to give dollars to. cause it's good to help people, isn't it mom?

my boy has been challenging me the last few mornings, but last night.... last night i couldn't have been prouder or more honored to be his mother. he reminds me every day that i'm doing something right. and that regardless of his father's involvement, or lack of involvement, my boy continues to thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment